DIY: Christmas chalkboard & my favorite Holiday DIYs

This year I planned ahead.  Waaay ahead.  By Thanksgiving I’d purchased all the supplies needed for a week of Christmas crafts.  Then Zac’s travel schedule happened and this chalkboard was the only one that was completed.
There’s always next year, right?
I picked up an antique frame and a can of chalkboard paint and thirty minutes later had myself a chalkboard.

I removed the glass and sprayed the frame with Rustoleum’s brass spray paint and added a clear coat – this step isn’t necessary though.  Then sprayed the glass with three coats of Krylon’s chalkboard paint.

After seeing so many beautiful chalkboard graphics on Pinterest, I assumed it would be easy.  So not the case for me.  I had originally planned scrolly lavish writing and quickly realized writing with chalk is an art…and I am not an artist.  The simple block lettering proved to much easier.  (Inspiration print).
Here are a few of the Holiday crafts and DIY projects that I was drawn to this year.  Some that I’m still going planning to get done and others that are going to have to wait for next year!
1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9

PS Our activity advent calendar is up!  I love that it holds me accountable – I can’t make excuses and the fun stuff gets done.  Because Zac will be gone a big portion of this month, I added an extra “snuggle and read Christmas books with hot cocoa” and “a family dance party to Christmas music”.

Simply is the word of the month for me.

10 Responses to DIY: Christmas chalkboard & my favorite Holiday DIYs

1. Jenn 12/06/12 at 8:08 pm #

are you using real chalk? I think the way everyone makes their chalk writing so gorgeous is with the chalk pen things….I need to investigate more because I am pretty sure I NEED a chalk board (or 6!)

2. Natty by Design 12/06/12 at 8:10 pm #

Oooh, I haven’t heard of those – thanks for the heads-up!

3. Janna McCalley 12/06/12 at 8:55 pm #

So pretty! I just did a huge mirror into a chalkboard-it is harder then it looks to make font look good! Loving yours though!

4. Jennifer Kennedy 12/06/12 at 11:01 pm #

So, that’s how you do it!! I’ve been wanting to do a chalkboard project for a long time. I didn’t realize that you could just spray the actual glass with chalkboard paint!!! (Duh!) I thought I needed a special backing for the paint!!

Good to know! Thanks.

5. Classy Clutter 12/07/12 at 12:52 am #

These will change your life!

Love your chalkboard!!

XOXO Mallory @ Classy Clutter

6. Allison 12/07/12 at 4:05 am #

Love your chalkboard and I think you have very nice writing! I’m making gingerbread houses this weekend with my little neighbor kids. Should be fun.

7. Marie 12/08/12 at 4:53 pm #

Natty~What is the source for the the evergreen words in the window. They look great and I think I must try!
    Thanks!
    Marie

8. dissertationconsultant 03/18/13 at 7:53 am #

I must say this is a brilliant post. I have read your last two blog posts on the similar topic, those were outstanding too. Keep it up and maintain posting blogs on related matter.

help with nursing dissertation